Monday, September 24, 2012

Winter Landscape


Winter Landscape by John Berryman isn’t my favorite poem I’ve read so far this semester, none of the less its still peculiarly interesting. The breaks in the poem leave me feeling unbalanced. There is an unusual feeling of eeriness in the poem. I do enjoy how the poet begins with the three men and ends with them. The painting by Pieter Brueghel, Hunters in the Snow, is more appealing to me than the poem. The distance between the birds witnessing the three hunters and the hunters between the towns’ people below them creates a nice depth. The tone of the poem is solemn and bleak by having the three men “returning cold and silent to their town,” but John Berryman includes a contrast with the line, “lively with children.” This action heights the feel of cold tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment