Monday, November 5, 2012

The Cuban Doctor


Wallace Stevens’ The Cuban Doctor is difficult to decipher, one moment I think I figured it out but find myself lost. The accompanying illustration by Mahendra Singh didn’t assist in making this poem clear to me. I enjoy the visual the poem portrays and the journey of the physical and mental state. This is the second poem we have reviewed in class that Wallace Stevens has the theme of dreams. It’s fascinating how this poem and the Disillusionment of 10 o’clock have two different perspectives on dreams. The Disillusionment of 10 o’clock describes the joy and adventure of a man dreaming. In the Cuban Doctor, the dangers of dreaming can bring upon death. The poem describes how these dangers can creep up on you when you least expect it and in your most vulnerable state.

No comments:

Post a Comment