Monday, October 22, 2012

Cezanne's Port


I’m not sure how I feel about Cezanne’s Ports by Allen Ginsberg. I like Paul Cezanne’s painting, L’Estaque much more. Poems inspired or written about paintings are a hit or miss for me. If the poem describes literally with not much insight, I’m not into it. If the poem brings the painting on a different level by creating a story beyond the painting, I then love it. This poem does discuss activity outside the canvas, but it isn’t enough for me. It’s interesting how the poet uses bleak white haze to accompany heaven. My attention is more on the painting, how the water reaches across both sides of the canvas, how lovely it must be to live in the French village below.

1 comment:

  1. I like your point of view and how you are geared toward the painting than the poem.

    ReplyDelete